Sunday, January 10, 2010

Day 13: I'm So Excited, and I Just Can't Hide It!

Just the other day I realized that all of my blogs have been about food. My goal was to write about my journey to a healthier lifestyle...which of course involves my dietary intake. However, it also includes a slew of other things like EXERCISE!!! (And mental health, sleep, etc.)

So...I'm going to focus this blog on my physical activity in the past week. Which, let me just say...my new Nikes are coming in the mail TOMORROW!!! SOOO excited!

A personal trainer once told me that I should be getting 3 hours of cardio and at least 1.5 hours of strength training in a week (I think it was something like that). I never realized how hard it would be to find that kind of time, because in high school and college I had either the time or the energy to bust ass at the gym. Twice a day.

Instead...this was my week:

Monday: Went to the gym around 9pm and did an hour of eliptical while watching Family Guy (awesome).
Tuesday: Planned to work out after a meeting for the Virginia Production Alliance, but ended up catching up w/ my friend Meredith until about 11:30pm. Only drank two beers, but definitely no energy for a late, late night workout.
Wednesday: Too cold to go to the gym, and roomies were hanging out downstairs. Good excuse to not work out. And I was tired...excuses excuses.
Thursday: Had to make up for a lazy Tuesday and Wednesday, so woke up at 6:30 to do an intense 30-minute Jillian Michaels routine. Then started getting tired Thursday night, but my amazing boyfriend motivated me to get my ass up and workout...so I did another intense 30-minute Jillian Michaels routine and finished with Yoga. And felt fucking AWESOME! (Thanks, babe).
Friday: Two birthday parties to go to...from 5:30pm until 2am.
Saturday: Worked out with my boyfriend...
Sunday: I can't motivate my bf to stop smoking and start running if I'm not going to go to the gym and run with him! Except I can't run until my new shoes get in, so I did 30 minutes (over 4 miles) on the eliptical. And then came home and did 10 minutes of Jillian Michaels, chased the dog around the couch for at least 10 minutes, and worked out my arms/abs for another 10 minutes.

So lets see what that comes out to: a little over 2 hours of cardio and about 1 hour of strength? Holy shit, working out hard core is a bitch when you work a 9-5 and have a life!!!

I have a brand new appreciation for full-time-job-working, raising-a-family women who can't lose weight. Staying in shape is hard, but keep working on it and stay motivated! Chase your kids or your dogs around the house/yard and have lots and lots of (protected) sex!

I leave you with this statement found in a CNN article:

A study of healthy German adults revealed that men and women who had sex more frequently tended to be slimmer than folks who didn't have as much sex. Sex burns 50 to 60 calories per encounter, Whipple says, so sex three times a week for a month would burn about 700 calories -- or the equivalent of jogging about seven miles.
(http://www.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/01/07/sex.health.benefits/index.html)


1 comment:

  1. Glad I could provide you with some quality and educational reading material for your blog :) haha

    ReplyDelete